Wednesday, December 4, 2013

3 Nephi

Yesterday we had a real interesting day. With no car, I am not surprised. We ended up being stranded in Lake Villa with nothing to do. So naturally, I pulled out my scriptures and began to read. I got so fully engrossed into my reading. I experienced something that I have never experienced before.
I started reading in 3 Nephi 6. By the time our ride had come I was finishing 3 Nephi 16. I seriously LOVE the Book of Mormon. The words and stories and teachings are so fabulous and teach me a ton about the person that I want to be. 
I love 3 Nephi especially. Anytime that Christ is speaking specifically to us as His children, you know it is pretty important. 3 Nephi 11 is just outstanding! About when Christ first show himself to those in the America's. Do you want to know the first things He says to His children?
He first introduces Himself.
 10 Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.
 11 And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.
 12 And it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words the whole multitude fell to the earth; for they remembered that it had been prophesied among them that Christ should show himself unto them after his ascension into heaven.
He, then, invites all to come know Him.
 13 And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto them saying:
 14 Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.
 15 And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come.
And what do you think is the very first thing Christ chooses to teach His people?
18 And it came to pass that he spake unto Nephi (for Nephi was among the multitude) and he commanded him that he should come forth.
 19 And Nephi arose and went forth, and bowed himself before the Lord and did kiss his feet.
 20 And the Lord commanded him that he should arise. And he arose and stood before him.
 21 And the Lord said unto him: I give unto you power that ye shall baptize this people when I am again ascended into heaven.
 22 And again the Lord called others, and said unto them likewise; and he gave unto them power to baptize. And he said unto them: On this wise shall ye baptize; and there shall be no disputations among you.
 23 Verily I say unto you, that whoso repenteth of his sins through your words, and desireth to be baptized in my name, on this wise shall ye baptize them—Behold, ye shall go down and stand in the water, and in my name shall ye baptize them.
 24 And now behold, these are the words which ye shall say, calling them by name, saying:
 25 Having authority given me of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
 26 And then shall ye immerse them in the water, and come forth again out of the water.
 27 And after this manner shall ye baptize in my name; for behold, verily I say unto you, that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one; and I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one.
 28 And according as I have commanded you thus shall ye baptize.
Christ lets His people know that baptism in His name by His power is important. He speaks for pages and pages in 3 Nephi all about loving each other, and being charitable, and the sacrament, and coming unto Him, but the VERY first thing that He does is give His prophet the priesthood power to baptism by His name into the kingdom of God. We can't see the whole picture... but God sure lets us see lots of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment