Saturday, January 4, 2014

Be Your Best Self

Each must strive to learn his (or her) duty and then to do it to the best of his (or her) ability. As we do so, we provide the means by which our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, can accomplish Their work here upon the earth. It is we who are Their representatives here.
Although our journey through mortality will at times place us in harm’s way, may I offer you tonight three suggestions which, when observed and followed, will lead us to safety. They are:
1. Study diligently.
2. Pray fervently.
3. Live righteously. 
Let us never despair, for the work in which we are engaged is the work of the Lord. It has been said, “The Lord shapes the back to bear the burden placed upon it.”

We are all called upon to do the work of the Lord. We need to rise to that challenge and be our best self to reap the blessings that He has in store for us. But WE are the ones called. And we are called to do it as ourselves. We have to be ourselves. We need to be who we are. Recently I got a letter from a good friend of mine. I was explaining to him that I am trying so hard to be this missionary that I picture in my head as being a "perfect missionary". He told me to stop trying to be someone that I am not. He said that I was called to be me. Not to be what I think a perfect missionary is. He said, "The Lord has put you through trials and experiences to shape you into who you are. He didn't do that to then call you on a mission and have you throw all that away to change who you are. He did that to mold you into the missionary that you are now. To be able to use all those things that He has given you to be you. Because people need YOU!" Man oh man were those words needed. I have been trying way too hard to be someone that I am not. And it is a bit discouraging. But I am giving that up. Don't get me wrong, I will always have things to work on and things to better myself, but I am still me. I am a bit crazy, I am not really funny, I am goofy, I am not very good with words, but I love this gospel! And I have an unwavering testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ, and the path that He has given us to take. And I can use that. And I will use that.
I need to be me. And you need to be you. If we aren't ourselves, who are we? God didn't create us to all be clones. We are personalized for a reason. So be YOUR best self. Find your gifts and the things you have learned through your trials and experiences and work with those. Because God has been shaping you into you for a very long time. And He has been doing it for you to help someone who needs YOU!
I know that this church is true. I know that God loves me and is molding me every day little by little for me to become the daughter that I was sent here to become. I love this gospel. I love the words of God that we are given in the Book of Mormon and by our prophets. I am grateful for my testimony that is continually growing. I love my Savior and His Atonement. It helps me through the best and the worst of times. Being a missionary is very humbling. And it is crazy worth it! The church is true :)

No comments:

Post a Comment