Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Technology

One theme that kept coming up in Conference and really hit home was the issue of technology. There are so many amazing uses of technology in these days. It makes communication easier, there is the entertainment aspect, family history work, missionary papers, etc. But technology has really been driving me crazy lately. Completely crazy!!!!!! I really can't handle it a lot of times lately. I feel like it is taking over all those around me. It is a huge distraction and it seems like it is becoming an addiction. Something nobody can seem to go without. I don't totally love that idea. There are too many people coming home from missions because they can't stand not being on facebook or not texting. It is just so sad to me. I also think that texting ruins communication between people. I am not going to be one of those people. Yeah texting and facebook is cool right now, but once I get married and start a family, I don't want my phone or my computer to become a distraction from what is most important. I love the idea of technology, but I hate it at the same time. I went without facebook for 3 days and I have given up my phone almost entirely for the last 24 hours. It has been a little inconvenient, but nothing that I can't handle. And it is nice to know that I have not had that constant distraction of checking my phone or getting on facebook when I am bored. I am more aware in class, I get my homework done faster and better, and I really listen to people instead of focusing on something else. And I loved it. So although I will be turning my phone back on, I have made a vow to myself not to text anyone unless I have a legit excuse. And to not text when other people are around, because it really is just inconsiderate. I am also limiting my facebook to once a day. I think this will be really good for me while preparing for my mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment